Here is a summary of what was announced in San Francisco 2014…
Previously called Marvin in the press, this Hyper-converged infrastructure appliance is designed by VMware and built/sold by hardware vendors providing EVO: RAIL compatible hardware with VMware software on top. Purpose: SMB customers, ready in 15 min, scalable and complete in 1 SKU Competition: Nutanix, Simplivity, Scale Computing, Maxta,…EVO: RAIL Software included: vSphere Enterprise Plus & ESXi, vCenter Server, VMware VSAN, EVO: RAIL management GUI & vCenter Log InsightHardware specifications:
- 2U 4-nodes hardware platform optimized for EVO:RAIL and provided by selected OEM partners.
- Dual CPU sockets.
- Memory: Up to 192 Gb
- 16 Tb of storage on VSAN (HDDs & Flash)
- Automated Scale-Out up to 4 nodes (HCIAs), that can support up to 400 server VMs or 1 000 VDI VMs
1st OEMs announcing EVO:RAIL HCIA: EMC, Fujitsu, Dell & SuperMicro
vCloud Suite v5.8:
- Improved business continuity & disaster recovery.
- improved SRM integration with vCAC, SRM can be now offered as a Service in vCAC’s self-service portal
vCloud Automation Center 6.1 is announced
- Enhanced next-gen apps, such as Big Data Extensions for Hadoop 2.
- Improved interoperability with NSX.
- New proactive support: free Support Assistant vCenter plug-in.
vSphere 6.0: (beta)
- Fault Tolerance will support 4 CPUs
- Cross vCenter vMotion support
- Long distance vMotion is enhanced
- Using NSX, network properties now be kept on long distance vMotion
- Openstack VIO (VMware Integrated Openstack, Beta) A standard Openstack in virtual appliance (OVA) that makes it easy for IT to run an enterprise-grade OpenStack on top of their existing VMware infrastructure.
vCenter Management family products are renamed under vRealizeTM brand
vRealizeTM Suite is a Cloud Management Platform Suite
- vRealize Operations Insight: add-on for vSphere with Operations Management (vSOM)
- vRealize Air: SaaS offering for vCloud Automation Center
- vRealize Suite: Complete set of VMware management products
Rebranding examples: vCloud Automation Center (vCAC) = vRealize Automation & vCenter Orchestrator (vCO) = vRealize Orchestrator…
vRealize Suite is the next step in the evolution of VMware’s cloud management family, shifting from a product to a platform strategy
- VMware, NVIDIA & Google agreement for Graphics-Rich Applications.
- VMware and SAP Collaborate around Mobile Security & Mobile Apps.
- Workspace Suite: Mobile, Desktop and Content Management unified.
- New Horizon DaaS Services and Expansion to Europe
vCloud Air (formerly vCHS):
In addition to existing IaaS, DaaS and DRaaS offering (see vCloud AirTM OnePager), VMware announced new services:
- DevOps as a service
- DBaaS: MS SQL and MySQL first. Other DB platforms will follow.
- Object based storage (based on ViPR): extremely scalable, cost
- effective, and durable storage for unstructured data.
- Mobility Services:
- with AirWatch: mobility management, mobile app develop…
- with Pivotal CF Mobile Services.
- PaaS : based on Pivotal CF
- Cloud Management as a Service: vRealize Cloud Air Resources: